Announcements & Weekly Update
The Mira Mesa High School
2019 - 2020
The 220-members of the Sapphire Sound are proud to represent the community of Mira Mesa in San Diego, CA. We have been invited to the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade! Go Blue Team!
January 20 - 25, 2020
Monday - Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Tuesday - Color Guard rehearsal 3:00 - 5:00 pm
Wednesday - Minimum Day - Finals 1 & 2
Thursday - Minimum Day - Finals 3 & 4 / Color Guard rehearsal 3:00 (JV) & 6:00 pm (Varsity) / PARENT MEETING at 7:00 pm
Friday - Minimum Day - Finals 5 & 6 / Pep Band double-header home Basketball Games - Call time is 5:00 pm in Class B shirts
Saturday - BBQ COMPETITION - FUNDRAISER!!!! 4:00 - 7:00 PM in the Media Center (300 bldg). Band Call Time in Class B is 3:30 pm. Band will perform on the half hour. Come hear some great music, support the Band and Orchestra programs, and be the judge of the best BBQ, baked beans, and more!
LOOKING AHEAD AT THE CALENDAR & PARENT INFORMATION
Please send in your FTCs. Thank you ahead of time for your support!
PARENT HELP FOR BBQ FUNDRAISER SATURDAY - The "Making the Cut" Barbeque Competition is this Saturday from 4:00 - 7:00 pm in the Media Center (Bldg 300). We have a great field of competitors on the barbeque side (we can still take more), but there are many other ways for other parents to support the event. We still need people to bring in baked beans (the judges will pick the winner of the best beans) and/or donate the following: coleslaw, white buns or corn bread, and cookies for dessert. We also need parents to help set up (Friday afternoon), help serve during the event, and clean up at the end. Either e-mail Ms. Kasner at email@example.com or sign up on the google doc link below. Any and ALL of your support is great! Thank you!
Our Parent Meeting is this Thursday, January 23 at 7:00 pm. Come hear about plans for the second semester, concert attire for the ensembles, performance opportunities, AND the ROSE PARADE!
2021 Rose Parade - you will want to attend the Parent Meeting to hear about purchasing group tickets to watch the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade.
2021 ROSE PARADE THEME WAS JUST ANNOUNCED LAST FRIDAY! The theme for the parade will be: DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE - Celebrating Education! It's so exciting and perfect. I will share more at this week's meeting.
DISTRICT HONOR BAND & ORCHESTRA opportunity:
- San Diego Unified School District High School Honor Band & Orchestra auditions are Tuesday, February 11 at Serra HS. Sign ups for the audition slots are available via this link. Scroll down and go through the steps. The dates of rehearsals are listed. Be sure to print out the audition form and bring it to Mrs. Christensen to sign. If you need any help, just ask Mrs. C. The Honor Concert is Sunday, March 22, 2020 at Symphony Hall downtown. We always have a large group of our students in the ensembles, so plan now for another great year! Mrs. Christensen will be this year's High School Honor Band conductor!
- 1/22, 1/23, 1/24 - Semester Finals - All Minimum Days
- 1/25 - Making the Cut - Band Performs 4:00 - 7:00 pm
- 1/24 and 1/31 - Basketball Pep Band - Optional event 5:00 - 9:00 pm
- 1/27 - Second Semester begins - Jazz Band begins!!! Sign up on Mrs. Christensen's office window.
- 1/30 - Restaurant Fundraiser at Little Sakana. Click HERE for the flyer.
- 2/7, 2/8 - USD Honor Band opportunity
- 2/11 - SAN DIEGO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT HONOR BAND AUDITIONS at Serra High School. Sign up online. See info above.
- 2/14, 2/17 - President's Holiday - No school
- 2/19 - Restaurant Fundraiser at Best Pizza & Brew. Click HERE for the flyer.
- 2/20-2/23 - CASMEC (All-State Ensembles)
- 2/29 - Color Guard Home Tournament
ROSE PARADE: Plan NOW for December 2020! With the Band's invitation to the January 1, 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade, we will be in full day rehearsals throughout the December break. (Only Dec 25 will be off.) Make plans with your families in San Diego for the holidays!
Looking for the calendar? We have an active Google Calendar on the Band website.
Jan. 25 - MAKING THE CUT - BBQ Contest. We have tickets to sell for $10 each to the event this week. Students are encouraged to sell a minimum of 3 tickets each. Come support the Sapphire Sound!
GOLF TOURNAMENT on Sunday, April 26, 2020 - Plan now for a fun morning of golf at the Miramar Golf Course. Click HERE for more information. Don't golf? No problem. We are always looking for sponsors and donations. Click HERE to help with donations.
Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our code: LB285DLF33861
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, go to Amazon Smile and put in Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters before you shop. A portion comes back to our program!
In the Director's Corner
We have a great week ahead of us. Some of you are missing the bonding that happens with the adults during the field season. This is your chance to reunite on multiple days. Come be a part of the meeting on Thursday, help volunteer on Friday and/or Saturday with our annual barbeque competition fundraiser, or attend the fundraiser Saturday. We are the Sapphire Sound and we are "All In" together.
See you this week!