Announcements & Weekly Update
The Mira Mesa High School
2019 - 2020
The 220-members of the Sapphire Sound are proud to represent the community of Mira Mesa in San Diego, CA. We have been invited to the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade! Go Blue Team!
SPRING BREAK - March 30 - April 3 (Week #3 of school closures)
Spring Break - Well, this is not how I imagined Spring Break to go this year. I was going to attend the State Festival and watch our Symphony Orchestra participate, go to Newport Beach for an overnight, rehearse with the Wind Ensemble, and then go participate in the UCLA Wind Ensemble Invitational. All of those events have been canceled. Am I disappointed? Yes.
What I have learned over this past week is how to move forward. I'm in the mindset now of "starting where I am". I cannot change what what has happened or what was supposed to happen, but I can plan to move forward. I encourage you to "start where you are" and enjoy this week. Make a meal, chat via the phone/internet, and look forward to what will be.
STUDENT MEALS - SDUSD will continue to provide breakfast and lunch student meals at Walker Elementary (9225 Hillery Dr, San Diego, CA 92126). Students must be present to pick up the meals. Get your meals between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
STUDENT LEARNING - Mira Mesa HS is planning to go online beginning in April. Teachers will begin to give assignments the week of April 6, but not all will have lessons up. Be patient as teachers are still learning how to transition everything online. Some will be better at it than others and most will be using Google Classroom. Be sure to add yourself into each teacher's class. I know many of you added last week and it was great to have our first zoom meeting. We will have another set of meetings next week, so if you haven't added yet into Google Classroom, then please do so.
Add into Google Classroom.
- Wind Ensemble - 6k3ayc2
- Symphonic Band - 7gqtq76
- Concert Band - clwv65a
- Color Guard - xp7evlr
- AP Music Theory - v2rhqtg
- Band Period 5 - 2y7jfbc
If you're looking for something to do this week:
- Play your instrument. Practice the music you do have, look online for other pieces or excerpts, and enjoy the process of playing. It's good for you!
- If you don't have a metronome or app to keep a pulse for you, try this website: musicca.com, SITE. This link also has other basic exercises that help with reading notes, learning intervals, scales, and key signatures.
- For more advanced lessons, exercises, and information, try musictheory.net HERE. This site is also great for all students in AP Music Theory - intervals and ear training are a focus for this week.
- Music theory is for everyone. Click HERE for ways to compose and hear your music.
- Learning the basics of chord progressions and adding to the progressions with individual lines. Click HERE.
- LA Philharmonic has a great set of video for you to watch. Explore rehearsals and performances HERE.
- The National Air & Space Museum has some great thing to explore. Click HERE.
- Take a virtual tour of the Smithsonian museums. Many of our national museums are offering virtual tours.
- Learn to cook! 👩🍳 👨🍳 I've shared a couple of recipes via Instagram and Facebook and will continue to do so. Let's see what we cook up this week!
MARCH MADNESS - What piece won this year's Band Championship's..."October" by Eric Whitacre. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Changes and all updates in events, rehearsals, and performances will be on the BAND WEBSITE. The Google Calendar is on the "Announcements" page on the band website.
EVENTS & FUNDRAISERS - (Currently everything is POSTPONED or CANCELED)
MARCH - ALL EVENTS, REHEARSALS, AND CONCERTS HAVE BEEN CANCELED. NO Rose Parade payment in March.
GIFT CARDS - SHOP ONLINE - Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. It's the same as the gift cards, but you just access them virtually. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our new code: 5BA7A71333861
YANKEE CANDLES - ONLINE ORDERS ONLY - Students have the opportunity to raise funds by selling candles until the end of April. Click HERE to look at the information and opt for sending the fundraisers to others online.
OUR ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT at the Miramar Golf Course is being postponed until we are able to get back to the great outdoors and be with one another. We look forward to this fun gathering in the future!
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, go to Amazon Smile and put in "Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters" before you shop. A portion comes back to our program!
In the Director's Corner
The call to stay home due to COVID-19 is extended through the end of April. (Giant sigh heard around the world.) Please follow the guidelines of staying home. I know it's challenging, but we will all get through this if we keep our distance from one another. Keeping a distance doesn't mean you can't be in contact. Communication is essential and easy for all of us. It's also what is good for us and keeps us from feeling isolated. The weather is supposed to be nice this week. Enjoy!
Positives from last week, I had Zoom meetings with each of the ensembles and Color Guard. It definitely cheered me up! I was feeling down, but seeing students and hearing from them was great. Thank you to all who joined in. Parents? I encourage you to do the same. FaceTime or Zoom with with your family and friends. It's great to see one another. If we all get bored, maybe we will even try to a zoom Parent Meeting sometime.
Stay connected. Stay home. 🏡 😷
Blue Team, take care of one another, be well, and be "All In". 💙
(Email Newsletter from March 9, 2020)
March 9 - 14, 2020 - Festival Week
The SCSBOA Festival is this Saturday at Mira Mesa HS. ALL Band Ensembles will be performing.
Monday - Jazz Band / Color Guard 1:30 - 4:30 pm / Symphony Orchestra 4:30 pm / Move to new room after school!
Tuesday - Color Guard rehearsal 3:00 - 5:00 pm / SDUSD HS Honor Band & Orchestra Rehearsal 6 - 8 pm in the new building, room 801.
Wednesday - Sectionals for all groups (lunch and/or after school)
Thursday - Jazz Band / Color Guard 3 - 6 pm & 6 - 9 pm / Musical (6 pm show)
Friday - Musical - (7 pm show)
Saturday - SCSBOA FESTIVAL FOR ALL GROUPS - Call time for Concert Band is 8 am, Symphonic Band 9:30 am, & Wind Ensemble 10 am / Musical (2 & 7 pm shows)
CALENDAR & PARENT INFORMATION
Please turn in your envelopes for bus transportation (FTC). Thank you for the support!
2021 ROSE PARADE: Dream. Believe. Achieve - Celebrating Education! Tickets are available at: Sharp Seating
ROSE PARADE: Plan NOW for December 2020! With the Band's invitation to the January 1, 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade, we will be in full day rehearsals throughout the December break. Only Dec 24 & 25 will be off. Make plans with your families in San Diego for the holidays!
DISTRICT HONOR BAND & ORCHESTRA - Congratulations to many students from Mira Mesa HS who auditioned and were accepted into this year's SDUSD High School Honor Band and/or Orchestra! Band and Orchestra. Rehearsals begin this week on Tuesday!
FORMAL ATTIRE - Please turn in the payment if you have not done so just yet. If you have any questions, please email the uniform chair, Tracy Noteware at: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARCH UPCOMING DATES:
- 3/9 - MOVE-IN DAY TO NEW BUILDING AFTER SCHOOL - We will be moving only what we need for rehearsals and the festival on Saturday - Official BIG move is during Spring Break.
- "Freaky Friday" Musical - Come watch a great show and listen to the music live all performed by our MMHS students, many of whom are a part of the Band. Dates left to catch the musical are March 12 -14.
- 3/10 - Honor Band & Orchestra Reading Session at Mira Mesa HS 6 - 8 pm
- 3/11 - Top Scholars Awards in the Gym
- 3/14 - SCSBOA BAND & ORCHESTRA FESTIVAL at Mira Mesa HS (ALL Ensembles will perform) - Concert Band is wearing traditional tux look (white shirt with bow tie), Symphonic Band & Wind Ensemble are wearing modern tux look (all black)
- 3/17, 3/19-21 - SDUSD Honor Group Rehearsals
- 3/21 - Honor Band & Orchestra Rehearsal / JV & Varsity Color Guard at Mission Hills HS / Taste of Mira Mesa (Mira Mesa Foundation Fundraiser)
- 3/22 - SDUSD HIGH SCHOOL HONOR CONCERT at Copley Symphony Hall at 3:00 pm. Concert is free! Come celebrate the HS students of our district (and of course the many from MMHS that are a part of the honor groups).
- 3/24 - Symphony Orchestra Concert (before the State Festival)
- 3/26 - Parent Meeting & Rose Parade Payment #2
- 3/27 - Minimum Day - Symphony Orchestra to CMEA State Band & Orchestra Festival at Soka University
- 3/30 - 4/3 - Spring Break
- 4/2 - Wind Ensemble rehearsal 10 am
- 4/3 - UCLA Wind Ensemble Invitational (all day) - PERFORMANCE IS AT 3:56 pm at Royce Hall at UCLA
Looking for the calendar? We have an active Google Calendar on the Band website.
FUNDRAISERS - Gift Cards & Candles
MARCH GIFT CARD ORDER IS FOR STUDENTS! Click HERE for the gift card order form. ALL orders are due on Thursday, March 26th at the Parent Meeting. This is an EASY fundraiser to participate in. Think of upcoming holidays, birthdays, and graduation and order your gift cards. The card will be available for pick up on Thursday, April 9.
YANKEE CANDLES - Students have the opportunity to raise funds by selling candles from March 9 - 20. For the fundraising catalog, students can pick them up in the Band room. Click HERE to look at the information and opt for sending the fundraisers to others online.
Want to get involved? We are always in need of people who would like to help make SPAM MUSUBI. No experience necessary! Kris Tokunaga does a GREAT job of raising money for our program each week by making and selling spam musubi. If you are willing to help, please email: email@example.com
TEAMS ARE FORMING and IT'S GOING TO BE A FUN MORNING OF GOLF! OUR ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT is on Sunday, April 26, 2020 at the Miramar Golf Course. Click HERE for more information. Don't golf? No problem. We are always looking for sponsors and donations. Click HERE to help with sponsors and donations.
TASTE OF MIRA MESA - Saturday, March 21. This annual event is run by the Mira Mesa HS Foundation. Money raised helps to support many programs on campus including the Band. Click on the Google calendar on the Band website for ticket information. Let's support our school foundation and have a great turnout!
Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our new code: 5BA7A71333861
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, go to Amazon Smile and put in Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters before you shop. A portion comes back to our program!
In the Director's Corner
Congratulations to our Color Guard teams who competed at Mission Hills HS this past Saturday! JV placed 2nd and Varsity placed 1st in their divisions. Nice job!
This month is FULL of rehearsals, performances, and events. Please keep check of the Google calendar on the website: www.miramesabands.org for a list of all activities. Any updates will always be on the calendar first.
We are moving! I can't tell you how excited I am to move to a classroom that can hold all of us. It is beutiful! We will be planning an official Grand Opening for sometime in April. More information to follow soon.
Take care, have a great week, and be "All In".