Announcements & Weekly Update
The Mira Mesa High School
2019 - 2020
The 220-members of the Sapphire Sound are proud to represent the community of Mira Mesa in San Diego, CA. We have been invited to the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade! Go Blue Team!
Summer Edition: July 6-10, 2020
July...a month when it starts to heat up by San Diego standards. Summer is a chance to try new things and get into a different type of routine. I call it "project month". Projects at our house for July include having new tile installed (woo!). This also includes an automatic response of needing to go through everything that is currently in it's way. I will make a pile to keep and a donation pile, and then rearrange everything. I like change. I always have.
Going back to the topic of routine, this will also be the week I begin preparing scores for both marching season and concert season. I'll do what is called score study. It helps me understand the intricacies of the music we will work on this year. I have several weeks ahead of me to get ready with all of the music, but it's the perfect time to begin to tackle this.
To the students, begin your routine as well with your instrument. Begin to play long tones into a tuner. Can you hold a steady note that doesn't fall flat or go too sharp? Every musician starts with long tones and steady breathing. It's time for you to get back to your routine or begin to start one. Give yourself 15-30 minutes of playing each week day. You'll find yourself building up stamina and enjoying the progress of your sound.
Calendar & Events 🌞
1. Tuesday (7/7) - I'm headed to school to do a lot of measuring! I'll take some pictures and a video or two if there's any interesting changes. I wish you all could come with me, but not yet. I'm measuring the room to make sure I see how many of us can safely be in the room at one time.
2. Wednesday (7/8) - 11:00 AM - COUNCIL for BAND & CG - Executive leaders plus all others I have not met with...librarians, managers, color guard leaders, etc. Section leaders do not need to attend this meeting, but you are welcome to if you'd like. I will be going over roles of the Council.
3. Looking Ahead - Friday (7/17) - 11:00 AM - Full Leadership meeting for Band & CG
4. Looking Ahead - Saturday (7/18) - 7:00 AM - Student Leaders will "attend" a virtual workshop.
5. Looking Ahead - Monday (7/20) - 11:00 AM Section Leader Meeting
6. Looking Ahead - Wednesday (7/22) - PARADE MARCH DAY - Band students will be able to access the parade music via Google Classroom. A GC code will be sent in an email.
7. SAVE-THE-DATE FOR FALL CAMP - August 17 - 21 & August 24 - 28 for all Band and Color Guard. It is a time for you to meet over 200 other students and be a part of the Blue Team! Look for future email newsletters to detail the two weeks of camp. FALL CAMP takes place at Mira Mesa HS!
HELP RECRUIT FOR COLOR GUARD - ALL 9th - 12th graders...If you know of someone who has always wanted to be a part of a team or perform with the Band, but they don't play an instrument, then this is their chance. If you are friends with them, then share the news we would like them to join us! Share this video! For information, send an email to Sarah Abdulal: firstname.lastname@example.org
STUDENT MEALS - SDUSD will continue to provide breakfast and lunch student meals at Walker Elementary (9225 Hillery Dr, San Diego, CA 92126) between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM.
- Drink water throughout the day. The benefits are numerous and your body will feel a lot better.
- Move around at least once an hour. Set your alarm during the day to go off every hour, so you remember to get up and walk around.
- Walk. Inside your house, in your yard, around the block...wherever you can go.
- Be creative in your thoughts. Write down what you are looking forward to this summer and this fall. List goals and positive moments you would like to achieve.
- Play your instrument. It helps clear your head and gets you in the discipline of a routine. We haven't had a lot of routine, so it all begins with YOU!
- Step away from all devices - phones, laptops, etc. for at least 1-2 hours. Your brain and eyes need a break.
- If you feel hungry, grab a piece of fruit or some vegetables in place of chips or candy.
THE SCSBOA ALL-SOUTHERN & CBDA ALL-STATE HONOR BAND AUDITION SCALES & PIECES ARE POSTED! Here is your chance to get started EARLY on the audition process for All-Southern and All-State Honor Bands. Both groups use the exact same scales and selections. Click on the following: SCALES, WIND SELECTIONS, and PERCUSSION. All selections can be ordered online at JW Pepper.
Something to keep you motivated! Our 2020 Year in Review - Video by student historian, Aaliyah Frace. 💙💛
All information can be located on the BAND WEBSITE. The Google Calendar is on the "Announcements" page on the website. Check weekly for the current updates.
Ongoing - GIFT CARDS - SHOP ONLINE - Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. It's the same as the gift cards, but you just access them virtually. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our group code: 5BA7A71333861 If you have ANY questions, please email Mrs. Halpin at: email@example.com
Ongoing - Do you shop on Amazon? If you shop on Amazon, this is a quick way to give to our program. Go to Amazon Smile and type in "Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters" before you shop. Thank you for supporting the Sapphire Sound!
In the Director's Corner
Recipe of the Week - LUNCH - Basic, easy to make, and tastes great!
- BLT(A) - Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and optional Avocado - Directions: Choose a sturdy bread like Sourdough, Wheat, or other. I like to toast my bread. Prepare your bacon to your liking by either baking it on a sheet pan in the oven or on a plate with paper towels in the microwave. Cut a large tomato into thick round slices, rinse off your lettuce, and slice up an avocado. You're ready to put it all together! You can add mayo or mustard to your toasted bread and then place the avocado (optional), bacon, lettuce, tomato. Done! Serve with fresh fruit or soup.
I hope you have a great week, Blue Team!
"All In" always 💙💛💙,