Announcements & Weekly Update
The Mira Mesa High School
2019 - 2020
The 220-members of the Sapphire Sound are proud to represent the community of Mira Mesa in San Diego, CA. We have been invited to the 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade! Go Blue Team!
February 10 - 14, 2020
Monday - Jazz Band / Color Guard
Tuesday - Color Guard rehearsal 3:00 - 5:00 pm / SDUSD HIGH SCHOOL HONOR BAND AUDITIONS AT SERRA HS
Wednesday - Sectionals & individual practice
Thursday - Jazz Band / Pit Orchestra
Friday - Happy Valentine's Day / No School
CALENDAR & PARENT INFORMATION
Please turn in your envelopes for bus transportation for this school year. Thank you for the support!
2021 ROSE PARADE: Dream. Believe. Achieve - Celebrating Education! Tickets are available at: Sharp Seating
ROSE PARADE: Plan NOW for December 2020! With the Band's invitation to the January 1, 2021 Tournament of Roses Parade, we will be in full day rehearsals throughout the December break. (Only Dec 25 will be off.) Make plans with your families in San Diego for the holidays!
DISTRICT HONOR BAND & ORCHESTRA - SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION TIME THIS WEEK.
- San Diego Unified School District High School Honor Band & Orchestra auditions are Tuesday, February 11 at Serra HS. Be sure to print out the audition form and bring it to Mrs. Christensen to sign. The Honor Concert is Sunday, March 22, 2020 at Symphony Hall downtown. We always have a large group of our students in the ensembles. Rehearsals are at Mira Mesa HS, so this is easy for our students to participate. Mrs. Christensen will be this year's High School Honor Band conductor!
FORMAL ATTIRE - TUXEDOS WERE SIZED LAST WEEK FOR YOUNG MEN WHO NEED THEM. AN ENVELOPE CAN HOME WITH THE ORDER. PLEASE TURN IN BY TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18. If you have any questions, please email the uniform chair, Tracy Noteware at: email@example.com
- 2/11 - SAN DIEGO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT HONOR BAND AUDITIONS at Serra High School.
- 2/14, 2/17 - President's Holiday - No school
- 2/19 - Restaurant Fundraiser at Best Pizza & Brew. Click HERE for the flyer.
- 2/19 - 8th Grade Open House - 8th Gr. Parent Meeting at 7:00 pm
- 2/20-2/23 - CASMEC (All-State Ensembles)
- 2/25 - Band Area Concert in the Gym at 6:30 pm (All Bands Perform)
- 2/27 - Parent Meeting at 7:00 pm / Rose Parade Payment #1 Due ($100)
- 2/29 - Color Guard Home Tournament
Looking for the calendar? We have an active Google Calendar on the Band website.
SPAM MUSUBI help needed! No experience necessary! Kris Tokunaga does a GREAT job of raising money for our program each and every week by making and selling spam musubi. She can't do it alone. Kris is needing help on Monday mornings. If you are willing to learn, she's willing to teach! You can reach Kris by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
GOLF TOURNAMENT on Sunday, April 26, 2020 - Plan now for a fun morning of golf at the Miramar Golf Course. Click HERE for more information. Don't golf? No problem. We are always looking for sponsors and donations. Click HERE to help with sponsors and donations.
Shopwithscrip.com is an EASY way to help support our program. Go to the website and select, "Join a Program", then put in our code: LB285DLF33861
Do you shop on Amazon? If so, go to Amazon Smile and put in Mira Mesa Instrumental Music Boosters before you shop. A portion comes back to our program!
In the Director's Corner
Performance opportunities are something I believe in and continually try to bring to the Band program at Mira Mesa HS. This week is our district High School Honor Auditions at Serra HS. Many of the students have already prepared the scales and short excerpt when they played for me in January. Please encourage your band student to audition. It will be a GREAT experience and they will have a culminating performance at Copley Hall where the San Diego Symphony performs.
It's the middle of February! Enjoy your week.
We are "All In" together.